Owner & UX/UI Designer
Purely Functional,2011 - Present|Remote (Seattle, WA)
Runs a three-person remote development team in building websites, web applications, and mobile apps. Designs all user flows, prototypes, and high-fidelity layouts, and translates them to fully responsive custom code and styles. Conducts business analyses in order to update existing systems to more efficient management workflows.
- Hazel Analytics, built a fully responsive marketing website with custom graphics and CSS animations for a Seattle-based SaaS company. (https://hazelanalytics.com)
- Native Stories, designed the logo, created app prototypes, and managed the frontend development of a Hawaii-based storytelling app.
- Root + STEM, designed a responsive web application and built an interactive, living data visualization of Hawaii STEM resources. (https://www.rootandstem.org/map)
Braintrust,December 2019 - Present|Remote (San Francisco, CA)
Communicates with leadership on a daily basis and manages the team building the company’s new consumer-facing website scheduled to launch in March 2019.
Product Owner & UX/UI Designer
AirshipCMS,2013 - Present|Seattle, WA
Manages the overall product, design, and development for all features of the Airship CMS PaaS web development platform. Established a design system for consumer-facing modules and designed and built the marketing website. Currently managing relationships with 10 clients using the platform. (https://airshipcms.io )
Extreme Arts & Sciences,2018 - 2019|Seattle, WA
Designed and coded fully responsive layouts for various small-scale websites to enterprise-scale web applications.
- Loyalty Program, served as Product Owner for the ideation phase of a loyalty program targeted at a niche market. Pitched to the C-level team of a Credit Union.
- Credit Union Website, served as an interim Account Manager for the initial six weeks of the project. Produced wireframes and built fully responsive layouts.
- Sales Playbook, designed the information architecture for an enterprise company’s sales team playbook in order to propose improved UX.
- Launch, designed a team-building game that is currently being used as a seminar training tool. Conducted extensive user tests and led rapid development sprints in order to ensure effective game mechanics. (https://launch-game.airshipcms.io/)
- Matchmaking, designed a web application for conference attendees to find others with similar interests and schedule one-on-one meetings. Worked closely with the backend developer to ensure that designs could be built to spec within a constrained time frame.
Web Designer & Guest Instructor
DevLeague,2013 - 2015|Honolulu, HI
Served as a design mentor and instructor. Created curriculum for the following topics: responsive web architecture, SCSS, and grid systems.
Sudokrew Solutions,2013 - 2014|Honolulu, HI
Contracted as a website and web application designer for this Hawaii-based full-stack software development company.
- High-End Car Leasing Company, created detailed user flows and interactive prototypes for the sales tool, consumer platform, and admin management interface.
- Comprendio, designed a new UI for a system of dynamic infographics for a mind-mapping / education web platform.
Game Designer, Curriculum Developer, & Instructor
Goma Games,2011 - 2015|Honolulu, HI
Led a small team in creating games that teach leadership, game development, and programming skills to a K-12 audience. (https://gomagames.com)
- STEM Projects, created an open-source archive of game development tutorials and resources. (https://stem.gomagames.com)
- La Pietra Summer Tech Program, developed the curriculum for and instructed a summer tech series in game design, illustration, and programming for four years.
- Global Game Jam, organized the Hawaii site for the International Global Game Jam Hackathon for four consecutive years.
Various Clients / Companies,2008 - 2011|Honolulu, HI
Designed logos, created branding systems, produced packaging and print materials, illustrations, and fully-coded website layouts for various clients and agencies including HumanHand, Wall to Wall Studios, and the University of Hawaii Art Gallery.
- M.A.P. Student Planner, worked with the team from Manoa Alcohol Project to utilize a $20k budget to design, print, and distribute 2,000 copies of a student planner that served as a resource for alcohol awareness.
- Writing with Thread, worked with the University of Hawaii Art Gallery to design a 300+ page catalogue featuring an extensive collection of Chinese textiles. The book received a Pele Regional ADDY Award for book design in 2010.
- User Interface Design
- Mobile App Design
- Responsive Web Design
- Tools: Illustrator, Sketch, InVision, Photoshop, Animate, Adobe Draw
- Paper Prototypes
- Interactive Prototypes
- User Flows
- User Personas
- Test Group Moderation
- Information Architecture
- Tools: Sketch, InVision
- CSS Animation
- CSS Frameworks (Foundation, Bootstrap, Bulma, Semantic UI, etc)
- Basic Gulp/Node Workflows
- Tools: Github, VS Code, iTerm, Chrome, Codepen.io
Product & Project Management
- Strategic Planning
- Feature Roadmapping
- Client Management
- User Acceptance Testing
- Kanban, Agile Workflows
- Issue Creation & Tracking
- Technical Writing
- Tools: Github Projects, Basecamp, Asana
Awards & Education
Featured Blog Post
How I Fixed Gmail’s UX and Saved My Sanity,Modus.Medium.com,2020
Unicorns vs. Dragons,Node Knockout,2016
Pele Regional ADDY Award for Book Design
Writing with Thread,Pele Awards,2010
University of Hawaii
BFA Graphic Design,2009
- Suma cum laude
- Full-tuition Regents Scholarship
- Honored as top Graphic Design student
Mililani High School
- Editor-in-Chief of Trojan Times